These are a few of our favorite things, listed in the order in which we receive inquiries. Click on them for direct links to their sites.
•Uncommon Coffee Roasters – The best in the midwest, especially if you know their story. Check out their “about us” page!
• Kismet Farm Bakery – New to Douglas, the bread is *amazing* as is their organic, locally grown food. I get a bunch of their savory biscuits, bring them home and make egg sandwiches.
• The Southerner, Saugatuck – It’s just down the street! Best biscuits we’ve ever had. Ever. (Can you tell I like biscuits?)
• The Grill Room at Clearbrook Golf Club – We *love* this place. Old Supper Club feel, great food and it’s just a stumble down the street from Heartland House.
• Wicks Park Grill – Live music and the best fish-n-chips.
• Mermaid Bar & Grill, Saugatuck – Great place to sit on the water.
• The Red Dock, Douglas – Cash only. Mem. Day-Labor Day only. On a dock overlooking downtown Saugatuck. Wonderful experience!
• Marro’s Italian Restaurant, Saugatuck – Only open during “the season”
• The Interurban Bus – Curb-to-curb service for $1 on this little bus – and they’ll drive right through our driveway to the front door of the house. Come on! Check their website for hours.
• Uber – Rumor has it (July, 2017) Uber is here. Although I don’t see any cars popping up on my app, folks are saying that there are drivers around the Holland/Saugatuck area. Worth a shot.
• Cindy’s Moonlight Taxi – FYI, they usually say “be there in 15 minutes.” But we’re south of the Mason-Dixon line when it comes to time here. (269) 910-3222.
Oval Beach – 7-minute drive from Heartland House, 15-minute bike, 30-minute walk via the Chain Ferry.
Other Things To Do
• Shops & Such – Just 8 blocks away, visit Saugatuck’s unique shops, restaurants, pubs and harbor life! www.saugatuck.com
•Art Galleries – Saugatuck/Douglas is the “Art Coast of Michigan” filled with a wide array of art galleries and boutiques. www.saugatuck.com/arts.asp Our fave gallery: http://www.waterstreetgallery.com/
•Bowling – Perfect for a rainy day! http://alleysdiner.com/
•Dune Rides – Fun for the whole family, the drivers also tell a little history of the area and will show you the site of the buried town of Singapore. Enjoy great views on this half-hour long dune ride. Just minutes from Heartland House, you could walk or bike north on the bike path along Holland St (turn right out of driveway), or drive 2 minutes. www.saugatuckduneride.com
•The Chain Ferry – Saugatuck has the only still-operating hand-cranked ferry in the nation! This 75-yard ferry ride takes pedestrians across the channel for walk-able access to Oval Beach during the summer season. The hike from Heartland House to the ferry is 15 minutes, the hike over the dunes to Oval Beach is another 15+. Pick it up on Mary Street at the river: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Saugatuck+Chain+Ferry,+Saugatuck,+MIemail@example.com,-86.2057534,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8819f771c2b847a1:0x9ea620e530775b94
•Cross Country Skiing – Enjoy the winter trails minutes from Heartland House. www.shoptheshark.com/cross-country-ski-rentals
•Kayaking/Canoeing/Paddleboarding – http://www.running-rivers.info/index.html – rent by the hour, or pay for a 1-hour, 2-hour, or 3-hour kayak and they’ll drive you upstream to drop you off. We try doing this every year!
Fruit & Berry Seasons
June – Strawberries
July (early) – Cherries
July/August – Blueberries
July (late)/August – Raspberries
July-September – Sweet Corn
August (early) – Peaches
September-October (early) – Pears
September-October – Apples, Pumpkins