These are a few of our favorite things, listed in the order in which we receive inquiries. Click on them for direct links to their sites and let us know if you discover something wonderful that we should add here.
•Uncommon Coffee Roasters – The best in the midwest, especially if you know their story. Check out their “about us” page!
• Farmhouse Deli & Pantry – I just want to move in here. We stock our fridge with their locally grown, organic, prepared foods. Order sandwiches online for pickup (it gets crazy busy) or eat in (very limited seating). We’ve ordered entire pans of foods from them ahead of time when we’re hosting parties, and wedding guests have had them cater.
• The Butler Pantry – It’s a kitchen store, but they have their own brand of sauces, spreads & jams in addition to jars of Stonewall Kitchen brand items and such. Perfect place to stop if you are hosting a gathering at Heartland House!
• Mermaid Bar & Grill, Saugatuck – Great place to sit on the water.
• The Grill Room at Clearbrook Golf Club – We *love* this place. Old Supper Club feel, great food and service consistently, beautiful views of the course and it’s just a stumble down the street from Heartland House. They do not take reservations.
• The Southerner, Saugatuck – It’s just down the street! Best biscuits we’ve ever had. Ever. And the owners are working to help Saugatuck’s seasonal employment scene by financially supporting their staff. So if the prices seem a little high, the money is going directly toward the staff’s wages/benefits!
• Salt of the Earth, Fennville – It’s about a 15-minute drive from the house, but well worth it! All locally-sourced foods, so the menu changes seasonally.
• Grow, Saugatuck – Another fave that we spend a lot of time at.
• Pennyroyal, Saugatuck – Very close to Heartland House on Bluestar Highway, this is becoming another of our go-tos. They have provisions barn behind the restaurant if you’re in need of picking up some local produce, eggs, etc.
• The Red Dock, Douglas – Cash only. Mem. Day-Labor Day only. On a dock overlooking downtown Saugatuck. Wonderful experience!
• Root Cafe, Fennville – Just down from Salt of the Earth. Earthy coffee shop with good food and a connected gallery.
• Phil’s Bar & Grille, Saugatuck. A staple.
• Wicks Park Grill – Live music and great fish-n-chips.
• Marro’s Italian Restaurant, Saugatuck – Only open during “the season” but has been a staple for many years here.
• Shanahan Catering Co. – A recent wedding held in our backyard had them cater the event and they raved about them.
• Farmhouse Deli & Pantry – They also cater! Plan well in advance, as they are highly sought after.
• The Interurban Bus – Curb-to-curb service for $1 on this little bus – and they’ll drive right through our driveway to the front door of the house. Come on! Check their website for hours.
• Uber – Rumor has it Uber is here. Although I don’t see any cars popping up on my app, folks are saying that there are drivers around the Holland/Saugatuck area. Worth a shot.
• Cindy’s Moonlight Taxi – (269) 910-3222.
Oval Beach – 7-minute drive from Heartland House, 15-minute bike, 30-minute walk via the Chain Ferry.
Other Things To Do
• Shops & Such – Just 8 blocks away, visit Saugatuck’s unique shops, restaurants, pubs and harbor life! www.saugatuck.com
•Art Galleries – Saugatuck/Douglas is the “Art Coast of Michigan” filled with a wide array of art galleries and boutiques. www.saugatuck.com/arts.asp Our fave gallery: http://www.waterstreetgallery.com/
•Bowling – Perfect for a rainy day! http://alleysdiner.com/
•Dune Rides – Fun for the whole family, the drivers also tell a little history of the area and will show you the site of the buried town of Singapore. Enjoy great views on this half-hour long dune ride. Just minutes from Heartland House, you could walk or bike north on the bike path along Holland St (turn right out of driveway), or drive 2 minutes. www.saugatuckduneride.com
•The Chain Ferry – Saugatuck has the only still-operating hand-cranked ferry in the nation! This 75-yard ferry ride takes pedestrians across the channel for walk-able access to Oval Beach during the summer season. The hike from Heartland House to the ferry is 15 minutes, the hike over the dunes to Oval Beach is another 15+. Pick it up on Mary Street at the river: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Saugatuck+Chain+Ferry,+Saugatuck,+MIfirstname.lastname@example.org,-86.2057534,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8819f771c2b847a1:0x9ea620e530775b94
•Cross Country Skiing – Enjoy the winter trails minutes from Heartland House. www.shoptheshark.com/cross-country-ski-rentals
•Kayaking/Canoeing/Paddleboarding – http://www.running-rivers.info/index.html – rent by the hour, or pay for a 1-hour, 2-hour, or 3-hour kayak and they’ll drive you upstream to drop you off. We try doing this every year!
Fruit & Berry Seasons
June – Strawberries
July (early) – Cherries
July/August – Blueberries
July (late)/August – Raspberries
July-September – Sweet Corn
August (early) – Peaches
September-October (early) – Pears
September-October – Apples, Pumpkins